[chbot] Wanting to get in touch with Robin (or anyone else who has implemented a controlled irrigation system)

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Aug 12 01:44:52 BST 2010

Considering the high cost of "industrial" solenoids + the need for providing
and switching 24AC etc, I would seriously consider hacking one of those
electronic timer type values that you can buy at any hardware shop. I have a
two channel unit that I bought from Bunnings for $50 or so.

These have a motor + gearing inside that drives the valve open or closed as
needed. Works from 3V.

This approach would be under powered for irrigation of a large orchard etc,
but it would be fine for the smaller set-up. If power fails then they stay
open. However power is probably not a big concern since a couple of AA cells
would power this + micro for well over a year.