[chbot] Reminder: Christchurch DigitalNZ API HackFest (this Saturday, September 12)

follower follower at rancidbacon.com
Fri Sep 11 05:39:56 BST 2009

Remember, the first DigitalNZ API HackFest in Christchurch is this Saturday,
September 12.

DigitalNZ is a publicly funded, not-for-profit initiative that aims to
make NZ digital content easier to find, share and use.

We're running it from Cii/powerHouse, thanks to their kind
sponsorship!

10am-5pm, Saturday 12 September 2009
Canterbury Innovation Incubator/powerHouse
200 Armagh St, Christchurch

Come along and

   * Make nice stuff using the DigitalNZ API
   * Whip up some code samples to help other developers kick-start
their own DigitalNZ API creations
   * Consume pizza, beer and sugary confections

DigitalNZ Search aggregates information about NZ digital content from
more than 40 content providers and makes them available via an API. You
can get a glimpse of what’s inside at search.digitalnz.org

Here are just a few examples of what you could get up to:

   * Image analysis of thumbnails and search by colour
   * Build an advanced search based on DigitalNZ facets
   * Example mashup with Eventfinder
   * Road-test the Ruby Gem
   * Extend the DigitalNZ Timeline app from MIT's Simile project

Bring yourself and your laptop. We'll provide the WiFi. This is a
low-key event - feel free to come along for however long you can, even
just a couple of hours.

RSVP (optional) to jo.eaton AT natlib.govt.nz