[chbot] H-Bridge (was Re: Sensor Information)

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 03:49:36 GMT 2009

I would not put the L298 high on the list because it is a common collector
device, just like the L293.

The internal configuration of these devices means that the output voltage
does not swing all the way to the rail and you lose approx 1.5 to 2 volts in
the driver chip. This turns into heat, but also means that your motor does
not get driven as hard as it should meaning that it does not get enough
Weetbix to win that Sumo competition. That is perhaps not too much of an
issue when you're using 12V or more input, but obviously throwing away 1.5V
or so is bad news for low voltage systems.

Many modern HBridge designs are "rail to rail" and do not suffer this
problem.