[chbot] Sensor Information

Jim Ronald jronald at chartermi.net
Wed Mar 25 02:47:05 GMT 2009

Hanno and Charles,

Thank you for your replies.  I'm not really looking forward to rolling my
own H bridge. I'd rather use something like the "Dual VNH2SP30 Motor Driver
Carrier MD03A" http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/708 but I'm not sure if
3.3V will be enough voltage on the inputs.  The datasheet says TTL and CMOS
compatible but it also says, Input High Level Voltage min is 3.25V.
Obviously, 3.3 is greater than 3.25 but 50 millivolts seems a little close
to work reliably ( I'm not an EE so... ).

I'm also considering the "L298 motor driver kit"
http://www.solarbotics.com/products/k_cmd/ which seems to be the best fit
for my needs.  However, I sure it's very inefficient compared to the newer
sexier motor drivers and I like the idea of being able to easily sense the
motors current draw.

If I design my own board I will probably use the MC33887 motor driver.  And
use a diode and resister to offset the 3.3 volts to 4volts for the motor
driver inputs.  It may also be possible to modify the Dual MC33887 motor
driver carrier
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/712 in the same way.

Thanks
Jim