[chbot] Project / Creative / Hacker / Maker space in Christchurch

follower follower at rancidbacon.com
Sat Mar 14 12:39:49 GMT 2009

Hi,

I would like to gauge the level of interest for a hacker / project /
creative / maker space in Christchurch.

I've been interested in the concept for quite a while but after
spending some time in similar setups in Europe I'm even more convinced
it would be a great addition to the city. While I could spout on about
it having social, community, technical, educational and creative
benefits I'm really only suggesting it because I want to be able to
work on projects and hang out with interesting people at the same
time.

If you're not familiar with the concept here are a couple of starting
points for learning more:

 <http://hackerspaces.org/>
 <http://metalab.at/wiki/English>

Already I've talked about the concept with a couple of people and had
a positive response. There is also a possibility of an at least
temporary location in the central city. I suspect we would probably
start off with having gatherings one or two nights a week.

Please participate in the discussion forum / mailing list if you are
interested in helping this get started or interested in participating
once it's started:

 <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/chchspace>

I welcome suggestions for venues, funding, participants, equipment and
interminable discussions about a suitably local-flavoured name.

Know someone who creates, hacks, crafts, makes or who might otherwise
benefit from such a space? Please pass this email along to them.

Thanks for your time.

--Phil.

(Apologies if you receive this mail multiple times--it just means you
should *really* participate! :-) )

[Resent as previous email seems to have been swallowed.]