[chbot] Simple robot programming

Simon Knopp shrunken.apple.head at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 23:22:49 BST 2009

That project looks interesting. I agree, ladder logic is a good way to
get started with programming simple robots.

What would really make a tool such as that powerful would be the
ability to create functional blocks, either of ladder logic or code. A
block of ladder logic would allow higher level commands like in
Mindstorms---"turn 90º left" or "move forward for 1 second". A block
of code (much like PLCs' structured text) could allow one to write a
function in C (for example) and have it represented as a block within
the ladder logic environment. These blocks could be created by anyone
who knows the language and distributed easily to those that don't.

I know I'm sort of just describing what PLCs can already do, but to my
(relatively uninformed :-) mind it wouldn't be too difficult a feature
to implement into a system like that you linked to and would make more
powerful programming with ladder logic feasible and accessible to more
people.

Just my two cents worth.
Simon.