[chbot] RC stockcar club this Sunday afternoon; Robot hacking tonight (Wed)

Morris skibear at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 06:25:33 BST 2009

Christchurch Remote Control Stockcar Club
http://rcs.spacejunk.co.nz/stockcars.asp  has a meeting this Sunday 1PM
till about 6PM at the Scout Den on Leaver Terrace in Brighton. I have
never been to it, so I don't know much about it. I was told normally 30
people or so and that it is a lot of fun! I figure the RC guys know some
good stuff about the mechanics and drive parts of a robot.

Christchurch Creative space:
Tonight as usual - Wednesday from 7PM. (at 200 Armagh St opposite
centennial pool)

Not me for Sunday after all: I will be at creative space on Sunday from
10AM till 12:30ish (ring me on O21-02655-three-seven-six if you want in,
but you wouldn't be able to stay between 12 and 2 because creative space
proper doesn't start until 2PM),

Tonight I start building everything together into a robot (I hope to
complete a remote controlled base I can make go fwd/back and spin
tonight). If anyone feels like helping (please!!!) then I am
particularly interested in getting progress on any of the following:
* Combining the standard sketch examples of ServoFirmata.pde and
StandardFirmata into one program for the arduino (so both digital IO and
servos can be driven from Python or the command-line on the router). Or
alternatively can PWM rate be set at 20 Hz (so that PWM can be used for
gross control of servos - even better if can do fine control).
* Checking that the PWM rate is around 1kHz, or modifying the firmata
software to do that (The L298 BJT transistor motor drivers need kHz or
slower).
* Having someone make a grabber or something else interesting using the
servos I have (using meccano or whatever)
* or if someone has a grabber or arm to borrow to integrate that would
be cool.

I won't be using the arduino nor the router until I have finished the
mechanics, so if anyone wants to borrow them to have a play with or do
something with them then that would be cool (provided they are careful
not to blow them up!).

Cheers