[chbot] Projector vs S-Video

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 01:01:01 BST 2009

On Mon, April 6, 2009 05:00, John Wynyard wrote:
> Thank you all for the advice,  new things to try so maybe more success
> this week
>
> I've been trying to increase the PC's resolution settings with no luck,
> so will try reducing them. I do have a VGA/S-video adapter which had some
> promise but didn't improve things too much, although i was trying to use
> higher resolutions.
>
> Andrew the projector model is a DLA-HD1

Interesting.  The native resolution is 1920x1080 (gasp!) so it ought to be
capable of displaying a nice image.  I think you are probably exposing
artifacts of the S-video signal generation process.

> The pc I'm currently using has only s-video,  I do have access to units
> with DVI,  however because the projector is mounted to the ceiling and
> roughly 6 m (maybe further) from where the computer will be situated,  I
> expect the cost of HDMI cable could become prohibitive.

Really?

These guys are showing a 3m length for $17

http://www.cdlnz.com/productimages/email/images/hdmireview.jpg

It's true if you bought a Monster cable it would be prohibitive.

They are also listing 7.5m HDMI Type A 19pin Male to Male Cable. VER 1.3b
RealHD for an RRP of $48.50 and a 10m length for an RRP of $67.50.  Worth
a try?