[chbot] Balancing robots

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Oct 21 00:31:09 BST 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 11:27:27 Michael Pearce wrote:
> > This is a level of stability and control not achievable with simplistic
> > PID or Fuzzy controllers.
>
> Actually the Segway used a good number of dsPICs to do it all.... so
> not as much processing power as you may have presumed.... (Note: dsPIC
> is _NOT_ a dsp- it is a 16 bit digital signal Controller up to 40MIPS)

I thought the Segway actually used a TI DSP chip, but perhaps that was an
earlier model. See a press release at:
http://www.embeddedstar.com/press/content/2003/4/embedded8283.html

You can implement useful algorithms on an 8-bit or 16bitter or anything else,
though obviously more expensive algorithms need more grunt.

The nBot achieves good stability with a 68HC11  (1980s 8-bitter), this
includes using a complementary filter as well as other controls.

The basic nBot algorithm (first generation) is at:
http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/nbot/bal2.txt but the final version
(4th gen) uses far more sophisticated input filtering (the complementary
filter).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaNUMwI3xg

The real test of the control algorithm, IMHO, is how it handles transitions.
In the video you can see how well it handles going over the crack in the
concrete. I have seen other videos of the nBot going up a rough four wheel
drive forestry track.

The nBot balancing is very good when you consider how compact it is. A large
item like a Segway is far simpler to balance. To convince yourself of this,
try balance a pencil on your finger. Then try balance a broom stick.

Fuzzy controllers can be set up to work in many different ways. Depending on
configuration they can mimic PIDs and state space controllers, as well as
other controllers.

Ultimately any control technology is only as good as its tuning and
environment. I have seen a state space controller being handsomely beaten by
a simple PI (no D) controller because the state space controller was too
fragile and hard to tune. The PI controller was far more robust and easier to
tune.