[chbot] Balancing robots

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 00:34:26 BST 2008

Pretty neat.

I think there are a few things which really help keep this thing stable:

1) Moment of inertia.  A heavy item placed relatively far from the wheels is
far easier to balance than a light one. That's part of the reason Hanno has
the batteries on the top of the pole of his robot . Having an object the
size of a human helps.
2) Relatively unlimited budget. Hanno is trying to make a cheap consumer
item while these flash wheelchairs cost many thousands.

Some horizontal reference, typically accelerometers because they are small,
cheap and reliable, need to be part of any gyro-based solution because gyro
sensors give you the rate of rotation and you need a horizontal reference to
cancel out any offset (normally done in a Kalman filter). If you don't
cancel out this offset then the machine would seem to be slowly rolling.

-- Charles