[chbot] Introduction (was: Re: Last two and a bit days of the garage sale....)

Sean Anderson sean.s.anderson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 20:10:11 GMT 2008

>  Do you have something specific that you're working on?

I've been looking at DES encryption cracking. I have downloaded a DES
core from www.opencores.org but haven't gotten around to running it up
yet.  I'm particularly interested in pipelined DES cores which allow
for encrypting one block, with a different key, each clock cycle. I've
seen a DES core clocked at 136MHz on a Spartan-3, that means one core
is encrypting data at a rate of 8.7 gigabits per second. It's not
shuffling data around at that rate because the input block is fixed
(the output block is known plaintext) and the key it tries each clock
cycle is just coming from a counter. I wouldn't mind getting my hands
on one of these: http://www.copacobana.org/.