[chbot] Introduction (was: Re: Last two and a bit days of the garage sale....)

Sean Anderson sean.s.anderson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:25:32 GMT 2008

I have a Xilinx Spartan-3 FPGA development board
(http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-SPAR3-SK-UNI-G.htm) which
only cost me $100 US + shipping, it's $150 on the site at the moment.
This has a 200K gate FPGA.

The programming software, Xilinx Webpack can be downloaded for free
(it's 1.8 Gig so might take a while) you can atleast do VHDL
synthesis, I don't know about Verilog. There are interesting
opensource cores at www.opencores.org including RISC microprocessors.
Xilinx provide a free microprocessor core called Microblaze which can
run ordinary Linux if you choose the version with the MMU (and have a
devel board with enough RAM) otherwise you'll need uClinux. gcc
compiler support appears to be available.