[chbot] Stepper Motors for Micromouse

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Tue Feb 26 15:26:21 GMT 2008

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the offer of stepper motors.

Matched pairs, small enough to fit in a micromouse, and enough steps and
power to go at a reasonable rate with the precision to stay precisely on
course is what we need. The maze has 180mm cells. Ideally the mouse
would be <100mm wide so that it can travel diagonally which leaves me
with 50mm or less for each back to back motor and shaft. I'm assuming
that I'll have to design and make wheels and tyres to suit. If thats not
enough constraints if we found sufficient motors of similar design then
we could have several mice in the club.

I can design the interface to suit unipolar or bipolar, any experience
you have with this could be useful. So far H bridges using chopping and
the inductance of the motor for current limit seem like a good idea.
I'll probably need at least part bipolar as my CPU is 3.3V, probably not
enough to saturate an n channel mosfet. I can choose the chop frequency
to suit.

Maybe I could meet up with you to see what you have? My phone # at work
is 357 0712 and home is 337 5337.

Cheers

Richard