[chbot] gcbasic / bootloader ?

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Mon Feb 25 19:16:26 GMT 2008

Well...

I'd have to say that gcbasic is cool, and I'm not a basic fan in the
scheme of things.

I used it to write a simple bit of code for a 12F675 last night to act
as a simple free-running A/D for another micro, and send the data out
serially..

The inbuilt A/D functions didn't correctly support the 12F675, but the
library source is with the install so I could have modified it, but
instead I wrote my own function...

Pluses from one simple project:
 - supports inline asm
 - LCD, (77480) PS2, serial, keypad scanning, X10, i2c, ssp, a/d
funtions. (lots of stuff outa-the-box)
 - seems to produce reasonably tight code, and you can edit the
libraries if you don't like it.  (open source, yay!)

Negatives:
 - Didn't support the 12F675 A/D correctly. No biggie.

I'll have to look into a bootloader setup, it looks very promising as a
stamp / picaxe alternative, which is nice as I have used a few stamps in
the past for proof of concepts and test setups...  I'll report back.

FYI, I'm doing this on windows 98, and XP, as that's what I use for my
device programming machine, but there are linux binaries for those so
inclined.  The whole thing is written in basic, and can be complied
using freebasic if you really wanna play with it.

Cheers, me.