[chbot] Odometry

Helmut Walle chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:51:07 +1200 (NZST)

Apologies for probably the slowest reply ever to any posting here...

Have you taken a look at he GMR components from NXP (used to be
Philips Semiconductors)? If you can easily mount a small permanent
magnet on the end of the motor shaft or wheel axle, you can position
the GMR sensor next to it, and your encoder is ready. The only
difference is that you don't get pulses, but sine waves instead, which
should not be much of an issue in the age of readily available
microcontrollers. The advantage of this solution is that it is very
cheap, and quick and simple to set up. The GMR components are used in
many high-volume applications where component cost and reliability are
important, e.g., car accelerators. And they make nice compact and
affordable encoders...

Kind regards,

Helmut.

| Helmut Walle   |