[chbot] HBRobotics/Micromouse

chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:07:42 +1300

Thanks Andrew,

What a really useful post, thanks for passing it on to the
group. The pre-built mouse platform is quite thought
provoking.

The construction looks just like the stunning Japanese
performer on Youtube, so has to be taken seriously. I know
Steve was enthusiastic about the stepper motor approach.

The H546 stepper motors that it uses have centre tapped
coils so an interface to each motor could be as simple as
two open collector transistors or FETs, or as complex as you
like to go with high frequency choppers with current sensing
etc. (As it happens I have a couple of L6228 driver ICs
ready for this)

The weight is interesting at 200g for each motor you get a
very heavy mouse. The mouse that I showed in December weighs
188 gm all up with Lion batteries. My next platform using
the Jaycar/Tamiya 36mm tyres has amazing grip and weighs
under 200gm with ball castors & batteries, but without the
CPU. I'm planning a simple logic circuit for this just to
get it moving.

And the width at 4.5 inches make diagonal traverses tight
but possible.

I have invested heaps of time designing and building
potential platforms, this looks like a great way to save a
lot of time.

I wonder if we could buy this platform cheaper elsewhere and
whether we might have enough demand for a quantity discount?
There is a manufacturer site referenced but the language is
way beyond me. When I get back to work I'll ask around for a
translation and pass on the results.

As for maze construction I suspect that building our own is
going to be the way to start, if we generate enough interest
we might have to consider cost vs time for a full size maze.
I'll write to the guy directly to show how I built my maze
walls.

Any more thoughts?

Regards

Richard Jones