[chbot] Odometry

Andrew Errington chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:08:48 +1200

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:56, you wrote:
> I'd like to modify my base to correct for the slight differences in the
> motors and thought that odometry might be the way to do it.
>
> Anyone had experience with through hole type encoders (where the shaft
> goes through the encoder)?
>
> What about the home made reflective ones?
> Ta

Yes.  The one I built for my Tamiya gearbox was a home-made through hole
design.  I put all the details up on Instructables.com.  The same idea
would work for a reflective design too.

Unless you can access one of the higher gears then you will be limited to
how many black and white segments you can resolve on a disc stuck directly
to the wheel, but even that should be accurate enough to keep both wheels
in sync.

Chris's suggestion to print them with PostScript is a good one, and I think
there is some code 'out there' to do just that.